Wednesday, January 13, 2016

SELLING MEAT ON THE STREET...

     Coming up on to New Years Day or Nor Taree as it is called in Armenia, meat is sold on the street  at this time of year when it is cold out and then whenever a cow is slaughtered in the neighboring village.  A half a cow is brought to a table and then butchered piece by piece on a chopping block with an ax and/or a knife for each customer according to their request. A cow's head is considered a great delicacy here for the tongue and brains and thus the whole head is sold for about 4,000 AMD (Armenian Drams) or approximately eight dollars. I never purchase this meat or any meat in Hrazdan due to concerns regarding ecoli etc.  I only eat meat from restaurants in Yerevan when I go there.
     The meat stand you see here is just outside my gate at the shooka when I come down my steps. I had to look at these cows' heads every day for weeks. They were certainly purchased as I saw a new head virtually every day.  The street dogs and cats hang out by the meat stand in hopes of getting a scrap of meat every now and then.




 




 


No comments:

Post a Comment