Saturday, January 9, 2016

FOLK ART CENTER OF NEW ENGLAND ARMENIA TOUR VISITS MY SCHOOL IN HRAZDAN

Last May, a most wonderful dance caller, Marcie VanCleave, from the New England Folk Arts Center, based in Boston, brought a group of travelers from around the world to Armenia on a dance tour. They did international folk dancing each day and toured Armenia to experience and see traditional Armenian folk dancing. I met Marcie through my dance calling mentor, David Millstone.
Marcie agreed to come to my school to 'call' an American barn dance for the children. About 75 children attended and we danced in the school hallway. It was a wonderful time for all and the children got such an incredible cultural exchange as did Marcie watching the children do traditional Armenian dance in costume.

Before the dance started, Andrea Grant
(a PC volunteer who came to help me) and I taught
American children's songs in the classrooms... 

More of me and Andrea... Wheels on
the Bus and other American tunes...

Armenian students doing traditional
dance for Marcie and co...

Marcie teaching Galopede...

 
Brian, another PC volunteer, my site mate
helping me teach dancing with the kids..

More traditional Armenian dance....

Group photo... Marcie in the back row...

Marcie teaching a dance....

I forget the name of this one...

 

Marcie doing her thing... She was so
wonderful with the children...


No comments:

Post a Comment