Saturday, October 3, 2015

FULL LIFE CAMP - DANCING WITH DISABLED CHILDREN

My first summer in Armenia was filled by bringing American contra/barn dancing to the children of Armenia. I attended numerous summer camps, but by far the most moving for me was Full Life Camp in Stepanavan, northern Armenia. Here the children were all in some way disabled. They had Down's Syndrome, Cerebral Palsy, Spinal Bifida, club feet, profoundly deaf and other cognitive disabilities. There were young children and young adults.
The camp consisted of just a few buildings with bunk beds tightly arranged. There were handicapped access bathrooms and one big room that served as the dining hall and a place for other bigger events. Outside were picnic tables that served as places for the children's activities.
There were four weeks of camps, six days each. I went for two sessions. I taxied each day from Vonadzor, staying with my friend Satenik and her baby and husband. It was a one hour ride over the mountains. It was incredibly hot. I held three dance sessions each day with about 15 children in each group. The children loved the dancing. For many of them this was there first experience outside of their village. For many it was their first experience with other children in a group setting. Many of these children never leave their homes.  My little friend Gorg, from my PST village in Berkanush wash there  in his wheel chair with his mother and little brother.  Here, the children have a chance for a full life.
There was usually one Peace Corps volunteer there each week and other volunteers from all over Armenia, some dancers, musicians, artists, woodworkers and others who came to work with these children.

The first week we danced out under the
shade trees. It was really hot. The kids
took quickly to the dancing and loved it.
 
Dancing with Gorg in his wheelchair... He was so
happy to be with the other children and to be dancing :-)
 
Dancing La Bastringe . . I always taught this dance first.
 
And it's a 'swing' move :-)
 
La Bastringe with Gorg...
 
Singing outside with hand motions . . .
 
Brother and sister dancing. Many older
siblings would come to camp with their
disabled sibling to provide the care they
needed for the week. There were few counselors
for the children.
 
After the third session of the day I would play fiddle
tunes on the porch while the children waited for lunch.
After the first day they all wanted to hold and try out the
violin. I was happy to make this happen for them.
 
One on one with my fiddle....
 
The second week I was at camp they moved me
inside where it was so much cooler for dancing.
We had children in wheelchairs dancing too!!
 
If they were unable to dance, the children
were happy to add percussion to the recorded
music. I brought tambourines, spoons and shaker
eggs from America to Armenia with me.
 
I also brought my guitar to camp and we did singing
of American kid tunes i.e. Old MacDonald, If Your're
Happy and You Know It, etc etc. The children and young
adults quickly learned the tunes and loved them.
 
The favorite dance by far was Un, Deux, Trois, Poussait!!
Only in Armenian, Make, Yerkoo, Yerek and PUSH!!
We danced this to music of The Joys of Quebec. They
would ask to do this dance over and over again.
 
More of the Poussait dance!!
 
 Next summer I will return for all four sessions of Full Life Camp. Finally, I have found some real meaning in my time here in Armenia.
 
And lastly, this is me and Gorg in early
 fall back in his village. He now
smiles and talks non-stop. He is 12 years
old. Notice his chair has no foot pedals and his
legs, ankles and feet are permanently as they are
seen. He has never had physical therapy.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment