Thursday, October 29, 2015

FOURTH OF JULY AT THE US EMBASSY

All Peace Corps volunteers in Armenia were invited to the United States embassy in Yerevan for a Fourth of July barbecue with embassy staff including the ambassador.  Maybe half of us went. We hadn't had an American salad with real American dressing, hamburger, fries, salad, watermelon and corn on the cob for over a year.  When we got there we heard American rock and roll blaring loud and everyone spoke English.  There were some sporting events and games for children of embassy staff. All in all it was a lovely time.

View of Gilmore Field at the Embassy.. Yerevan
and the Hrazdan River in the background..
 
Cheeseburger, fires, salad, corn on cob and watermelon..
I know it seems so mundane, but for us on this day
it was incredibly wonderful :-)
 
Under the big top...
 
Peace Corps volunteer table....
 
My best friend Susan Spano and me enjoying our
corn on cob..
 
 
Me showing off my incredibly American and most
wonderful meal since I arrived in Armenia :-)  It
was really such a treat!  Little things mean a lot when
one is far away from one's country...
 
 
 
 
 


1 comment:

  1. Hi Lorrie. My name is Michelle, and I was one of the PC Blog It Home contest winners a couple years ago. I’d like to invite you to a six-week Blog Challenge I'm hosting to help PCVs “level up” their Third Goal blogs in the New Year. This is “phase one" for an online project I’m working on with the aim of helping bloggers to promote cross-cultural understanding. I'd be honored if you would visit my new site: http://BloggingAbroad.org, watch the video (or read the transcript if loading videos is a challenge), and sign up to join the adventure in blogging. Take care and happy blogging! Michelle

    ReplyDelete